Venison Queso Dip
- Venison Queso Dip - February 10, 2023
- Venison Backstrap Pinwheels - January 30, 2023
- Wild Game Sausage Stuffing - December 19, 2022
Finding ways to sneak wild game into game day dishes can be challenging. On game day, most people want glutinous, fatty, cheesy dishes that they don’t eat during the week. Wild game doesn’t tend to work well in those types of preparations, but here I’ve created the best of both worlds – a venison queso that is cheesy, creamy, silky, flavorful, and uses wild game!
A good queso is hard to achieve using “healthy” ingredients. Anyone who knows good queso will tell you that. But, hey, everything in moderation, right?
I’ll tell you now though, you won’t be able to stop eating this stuff. This queso will be plenty flavorful as well; if not, then it needs salt, not more taco seasoning. Add salt until its as flavorful as you want it. I’m generally closer to 1.5 to 2 tbsp salt when I make this dish. Pre-cubing your Velveeta cheese will help it melt in faster. When it cools, it’s not a rock solid hunk of cheese and when you reheat it, it heats up just fine too. No fat separation, no cheese solidifying, just pure, glutinous, cheesy goodness here. Step up your game day appetizer dish with this venison queso!
This makes enough to share too so be sure to invite friends… or don’t! You might just be able to finish the whole thing by yourself! *3 bags of chips recommended*
Serving Size: Serves several as an appetizer
Time to make: 40 minutes
Also works with: Any ground game meat
Listen to our Podcast
Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Amazon Music
Try our Delicious Wild Fish and Game Spice Blends!
Venison Queso Dip
1 large block Velveeta cheese (or the equivalent from another brand)
1 block cream cheese
1-2lbs ground venison
1 can Rotel (canned tomatoes with chilies)
1 10-ounce bag frozen corn
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 8-ounce bag shredded cheddar
1-2 tablespoons salt
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 tablespoons cooking oil or fat
- Preheat dutch oven/pot over high heat and add oil. After oil shimmers and moves around
freely, add ground venison and spread out to cover whole pan. Add 2 tbsp taco seasoning and
allow to brown for 2-3 minutes. Continue to crumble and cook the meat until fully cooked.
- Add half and half, rotel, and cream cheese and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until cream cheese is fully incorporated.
- Add cubed velveeta cheese, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until cheese is fully
- Add frozen corn and allow to heat through.
- Add shredded cheddar and stir until melted through.
- Add 1 tbsp salt and stir in. Taste. If more salt is needed, add it. The queso should be plenty
- Serve hot and with your favorite corn chips and enjoy!