- Brown Sugar BBQ Elk Subs & Sliders - April 15, 2022
- Buttermilk Fried Dove & Waffles with Spicy Bourbon Maple Syrup - March 1, 2022
- Hans Makhani (Butter Goose) - January 21, 2022
This big country Brown Sugar BBQ Elk Sub is packed full of bold flavour and its shear size makes a statement around the dinner table. The dish features oversized Elk meatballs that are glazed with homemade BBQ sauce and served on fresh baked sub style buns with broiled cheese and fresh herbs.
This recipe contains a carefully crafted ratio of ingredients to ensure the meatballs have the perfect consistency, maintain the juiciness that you would want in any game meat and do not fall apart during the cooking process.
Depending on the size of the buns you use this recipe can make several smaller size subs or a couple big beautiful statement pieces for the dinner table. Alternatively you can cut your subs between each meatball for perfect sized sliders or single serving appetizers. Either way you can’t go wrong!
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Brown Sugar BBQ Elk Subs & SlidersCourse: Uncategorized
1 1/2 lbs Ground Elk
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
1/4 cup medium cheddar cheese (shredded)
2 tbsp garlic (grated)
2 tbsp italian herb blend (basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, sage)
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp bbq sauce
1/2 tbsp tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
- Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
1 1/2 cups of ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 can sugar-free pineapple juice (6oz)
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp paprika (smoked)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cornstarch
- Buns & Garnish
Extra Large Sub Style Buns
Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Mix all of the meatball ingredients thoroughly in a large mixing bowl and roll the elk into balls that are roughly 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Line a large baking sheet with tinfoil and place the meatballs 2-3 inches apart and place in the middle rack of the oven and set time your time for 25 minutes.
- Once you have moved your meatballs into the oven start to prepare your sauce by mixing all of the ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan. Whisk well to remove any clumps and create a smooth and consistent sauce.
- Bring your sauce to a boil over medium to high heat. Once the sauce reaches boiling, reduce to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes until it thickens.
- Once your meatballs have finished cooking in the oven move them to a large frying pan over medium heat and add 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. Ensure the meatballs are covered well and pan fry in the sauce for no more than 3-5 minutes.
- Split your subway buns, butter and broil until browned. Remove the buns and sprinkle them with cheese and brush the bottom layer of the buns with BBQ sauce and place back in the oven on broil for another 3-5 minutes.
- Now that your buns are broiled and the cheese has melted add in your meatballs, garnish with fresh chopped parsley, drizzle on as much or as little BBQ sauce as desired and crumble on some additional brown sugar.
- Serve whole for a large savoury sandwich or cut between each meatball and serve as sliders with some crisp dill pickles for some added crunch.