- Brown Sugar BBQ Elk Subs & Sliders - April 15, 2022
- Buttermilk Fried Dove & Waffles with Spicy Bourbon Maple Syrup - March 1, 2022
- Hans Makhani (Butter Goose) - January 21, 2022
This take on an iconic American dish is the perfect combination of sweet and savoury. The double-dredged fried dove breasts are extremely crispy, have a hint of Jalapeno heat and pair fantastically with the soft and fluffy cinnamon-infused Belgian waffles. Finally, the spicy bourbon maple syrup adds a bold and flavourful finish to this comfort food classic.
Dove is a lean meat that is high in protein, tastes great and is fun to hunt. If dove hunting is still something on your to do list it doesn’t require a long list of speciality equipment and is a simple as getting out and finding a location where doves feed or congregate such as corn silage fields, sunflower fields or hay fields/pasture that are stocked full of grass and weed seeds.
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Buttermilk Fried Dove & Waffles with Spicy Bourbon Maple SyrupCourse: Wild Recipes
14-16 Dove breasts
- Fried Dove Marinade
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic power
2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
- Fried Dove Breading
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp Kikaboo Jalapeno Heat Dry seasoning
1 tsp salt
Corn Oil for Fryer
- Belgian Waffles
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs (separated whites/yolks)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp of icing sugar (finishing garnish)
- Spicy Bourbon Maple Syrup
1 cup 100% maple syrup
2 Jalapenos (sliced)
3 tbsp bourbon
2 tbsp salted butter
- Buttermilk Fried Dove – Place your dove breasts into a large mixing bowl and combine with all of the marinade ingredients. Mix well to ensure that all of dove meat is coated evenly, then cover and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Combine all of the mixing ingredients into a large bowl and gently roll each piece of dove in the flour mixture shaking off any excess flour. To get a perfect and extra crispy coating double dredge you dove. Take each battered piece of meat and dip it back into the marinade mixture and roll back in the breading for a second time. Repeat this process until all of the dove breasts are double-coated.
- Heat your deep fryer (or skillet) oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and fry the dove in batches of 3-4 depending on the size of your fryer or skillet for about 4-5 minutes. Once done let drain on a rack.
- Waffles – Start to finish your homemade Belgian waffles will take roughly 20-25 minutes. Start by preheating your waffle iron and spraying the inside with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a large mixing bowl whisk together the cinnamon, salt, baking powder, sugar, and flour. In a separate bowl beat the eggs whites until stiff peaks begin to form and set aside. Beating the egg whites is easiest with a small hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg yolks, milk, pure vanilla extract, and vegetable oil, and once mixed well add this to your bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well and ensure that you eliminate any chunks and traces of dry flour.
- Once your batter is mixed well slowly fold in your egg whites and pour your batter into your waffle iron. My waffle iron takes about 4 minutes for every batch of 4 waffles so I will start my waffles as soon as I’ve dropped the dive in the fryer, however, ensure that you follow the instructions that came with yours.
- Spicy Bourbon Maple Syrup – Heat a small non-stick saucepan over high heat and saute the sliced (de-seeded) jalapenos for 3 minutes or until they start to become tender.
- Add in the butter, bourbon of your choice and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow the syrup to simmer for 2-3 minutes. This syrup will keep in the fridge for a few days. For this dish, we used Buffalo Trace Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.
- To serve stack your waffles with a couple of slices of butter, cover with a generous amount of syrup and finish with a light coating of icing sugar. Top with a few fried dove breasts and drizzle more syrup over top to your preference.