Rollatini! Have you ever heard of it? It’s basically like little mini eggplant lasagnas, you can’t really go wrong. If you’re looking for a little fewer carbs or something keto or frankly something just new but familiar this is the recipe for you. I made this for my kids and they all despise eggplant. Little did they know that’s what they were eating when I was getting all the praise for how good dinner was. This recipe can be made with any sausage or even any ground meat. Also, don’t be afraid to explore with any kind of cheese.
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Boar Eggplant RollatiniCourse: Uncategorized
1 eggplant, large
1lb wild board sausage
1 cup ricotta cheese
1+1 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumble
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
28oz marinera sauce
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- Using a Mandolin slice the eggplant longways into 1/8” thick slices. You want them to be very thin. you should have 15-18 slices. Salt the slices and place them in a colander for about 20 min to get the moisture out.
- Remove the sausage from the casing. In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat cook the sausage meat crumbling it up as it cooks. Once its cooked through place it in a large mixing bowl and set it aside to cool.
- Remove the eggplant from the colander and pat dry each piece. (You should see moisture build up and the slices will be more flexible) On a cast iron griddle or large pan over medium high heat ad a little plash of oil and cook each slice of eggplant for 30-60 seconds each side. You want the slices to get a little sear on them. Set them aside to cool. (alternately you can cook all the slices on a sheet tray in the oven for 20 min)
- Once the sausage has cooled add in ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, parmesan, feta, egg and garlic powder and 1 tablespoon basil. Fold together until well combined.
- Pre heat the oven to 375.
- Take one slice of the eggplant and place about 2 tablespoons of boar mixture on the bottom half of the eggplant . Roll the eggplant so the mixture is stuffed into the center. You should have about 2.5” x 1.5” rolls. Make sure to set the eggplant seam side down. Repeat until all the eggplant or mixture is finished.
- Line up rollatini in a well oiled 9×13 casserole dish seam side down. Top the rollatini with the marinara sauce, then the mozzarella. Place it in the oven for 30-40 min or until the cheese is nice and toasty on top. and its heated through. Garnish with the rest of the basil and enjoy!