- “Könisberger Klopse” (German Duck Meatballs in Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce) - November 29, 2021
- The Waterfowler - November 5, 2021
- “Ganso Deshebrado” (Shredded Goose) - September 17, 2021
We hope you have a big appetite as this double-stacked goose burger topped with fried goose skin, tequila corn and spicy queso definitely packs a punch! The goose skin is battered and fried with rendered duck fat and tastes delicious as a garnish, as an appetizer, or when eaten on its own like chips. The burger patties are well seasoned and can be made with pure ground goose or mixed with another game meat like wild boar as seen in this recipe.
This recipe works best with late-season honkers that pluck off easily and have a decent amount of fat on them. Depending on how I am breaking birds down I always make sure to keep any skin, especially from the breast and neck. The neck skin is also great for stuffing and making homemade sausage.
My assembly (bottom to top) includes: duck fat broiled red pepper and asiago burger buns topped with tequila corn, goose burger, fried skins, pico de gallo, another goose burger and layer of fried skins, generous spoonful of queso, drizzle of mole sauce and another scoop or two of tequila corn.
You can also use this recipe as an appetizer by removing the burger. Simply cut your skins into large triangles and once they are fried you can top them with queso, pico de gallo, tequila corn, garnish with cilantro and serve!
Now it’s time to get out and go hunting for some big Canada’s and fire up the barbeque to make a big, bold, field-to-table burger that your friends and family are sure to love!
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
The WaterfowlerCourse: Uncategorized
- Goose Burger
1 1/2 lbs Canada Goose (ground)
1/2 lb Wild Boar (ground) or lean pork
3 tbsp pickled jalapeno (chopped)
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp tajin seasoning
1 tsp cumin (ground)
1 1/2 tsp mild chili (sauce) powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Fried Goose Skin
1/2 lb Goose Skin (Neck & Breast)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 package taco seasoning
2 tbsp rendered duck fat
- Tequila Corn
2 cups of corn (fresh or frozen)
3 tbsp rendered duck fat (or unsalted butter)
2 tbsp reposada tequila
1 1.2 tbs lime juice
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- Pico De Gallo
3 large tomatoes (chopped)
2 tbsp lime juice
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
2 tbsp jalapeno (chopped)
1/4 white onion (chopped)
Large Burger Buns (fresh red pepper and asiago)
1 cup spicy queso
3-4 tbsp mole sauce
- Mix all of your burger patty ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Once mixed thoroughly separate into 4 or 6 equal parts depending on your desired burger size and press into 3/4″ patties. Set the burgers aside, fire up the barbeque and let it preheat while we prepare the fried goose skin chips.
- Fried Goose Skin – Preheat your over to 350 degrees. You can cut your goose skin into any shape that you like, once cut pat them dry and prepare your mix and dredge. In a small bowl crack your eggs and in a larger bowl of deep plate mix the flour and taco mix together. Generously grease a large baking sheet with the duck fat and begin to batter your goose skins. Drop each piece of skin in the egg wash and then coat with the flour mixture and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until you have no skin left. Place the baking sheet in the over and set your timer for 18 minutes.
- Once your fried skins chip timer hits about 12-14 minutes put your goose patties on the barbeque for 5 minutes per side and then bring inside to rest for another 3-4 minutes.
- Tequila Corn – In a medium-size frying pan heat the rendered duck fat on high and pan fry your corn until you start to get some colour (browning) on it. Reduce to low and add the lime juice, sea salt, sugar, cilantro, and tequila. Mix together well and let them simmer.
- Pico De Gallo – Combine your chopped tomatoes, lime juice, sea salt, cilantro, jalapeno, and white onion together in a large mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients well and set aside while you heat your queso and brown your burger buns.
- My assembly (bottom to top) includes: duck fat broiled red pepper and asiago burger buns topped with tequila corn, goose burger, fried skins, pico de gallo, another goose burger and a layer of fried skins, a generous spoonful of queso, a drizzle of mole sauce and another scoop or two of tequila corn.
- You can also use this recipe as an appetizer by removing the burger. Simply cut your skins into large triangles and once they are fried you can top them with queso, pico de gallo, tequila corn, garnish with cilantro and serve!