Hot Italian Venison Sandwich
- Irish-American Fish Pie - March 13, 2023
- Venison Cheeseburger Tater Tot Bites - February 6, 2023
- Hearty Rabbit and Bean Soup - January 20, 2023
I wrestled to find a new solution to an old problem. A problem that has plagued deer
hunters for ages. I had many failures, but those only deepened my resolve to find the
right ingredients to find a solution. This recipe is the result of finally cracking the code
for that allusive perfect use for the Venison roast you find at the bottom of your freezer.
The one from last hunting season, or maybe even two years ago.
One of the best things I ever ate in Chicago was an Italian beef sandwich full of thin
slices of beautifully seasoned roast beef soaked in au jus on a long roll. It’s been many
years since I made it back to the windy city to enjoy that sandwich again. But I recreated
it using a 3 lb. venison roast I just found in the bottom of my freezer.
Listen to our Podcast
Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Amazon Music
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Hot Italian Venison SandwichCourse: Wild Recipes
One 3 lb. Deer or Antelope roast, trimmed of outer layer of silver skin
2 Tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
1 envelope Good Seasons Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, dried rosemary, dried oregano
3 cups beef broth
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
1/2 cup sliced golden Greek Peperoncini (medium heat)
1/2 cup shredded Provolone or Mozzarella cheese
1 pound Italian loaf or hoagie buns
2 Tablespoons butter
- In a large cast iron skillet or other nonstick skillet, combine beef broth, salad
dressing mix, garlic powder, onion powder, dried rosemary, dried oregano and bring to a simmer. Add the hot liquid to a slow cooker and set on “low”.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the roast to
the skillet and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes, turning as needed.
- Transfer the roast to the slow cooker with the liquid. Cover and cook on low for 8
hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- When you are ready to serve the sandwiches, preheat your oven to “Broil” setting.
Slice the Italian loaf or buns in half lengthwise. Spoon the hot shredded meat mixture on
the bottom slice of bread. Next add the roasted red peppers, peperoncini, and cheese.
- Butter the top slice of bread and add more shredded cheese if you want. Place both
the top and bottom of the sandwich on a baking sheet and place in the oven on “Broil”
for 2 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.
One thought on “Hot Italian Venison Sandwich”
DELICIOUS!! This is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. People who only eat one in my house ate two!! Thank you for this recipe. 🤩
visit us : https://www.beckandbulow.com