Beaver Bomber Sandwiches
- Sous Vide Mango Jerk Squirrel - August 26, 2022
- Rabbit, Deer, Pumpkin Beer Stew - November 8, 2021
- Smoked Wood Duck with Peach Jalapeño Chutney - September 20, 2021
This is my take on the classic South Philadelphia Hot Beef Sandwich, except I’m using beaver. Yes, that’s correct, beaver. Beaver is often an overlooked wild game meat, but trust me, as long as you avoid the castor glands when skinning and butchering, it is excellent. Among the game meats I’ve used for this recipe, it ranks up there with bear and is far superior to venison.
I smoked the meat for about 1-1/2 hours and then put everything in a cast iron Dutch oven and slowly braised it on the pellet grill until the meat fell apart, which took an additional 3 hours or so. This is a delicious, but sloppy, sandwich so be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand.
Beaver BombersCourse: Wild Recipes
Front and rear legs from 2 beavers
Tacticalories Carvers Prime rub
Tacticalories Assault and Pepper
1 red onion, cut into slices
1 poblano pepper, cut into slices
1 red pepper, cut into slices
1 yellow pepper, cut into slices
1 head garlic, thinly sliced
3-4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
¾ quart venison stock
½ – ¾ quart beef stock
1 beer, lager or ale
Sliced banana peppers
Hearty Sandwich Rolls
Set your pellet grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit and while it is coming up to temperature, liberally season the beaver legs with Carvers Prime rub. Place the beaver on the grill and monitor the pieces to ensure they do not dry out. I pulled the pieces after about 1-1/2 hours.
- Put the smoked meat in a cast iron Dutch oven with the sliced onion, peppers, and garlic. Season with Assault and Pepper, add Worcestershire sauce, stock, and beer. Crank the Pellet grill to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and put Dutch oven on the grill once it comes up to temperature. Check the meat every hour and add additional stock if needed. Once the meat easily pulls away from the bone, remove the pot and allow it to cool slightly. Remove the beaver and carefully pull the meat from the bone. Return the pulled beaver meat to the pot and mix everything together.
- Pile the shredded meat, peppers, onion, and garlic mix on a toasted roll with provolone cheese, banana peppers, and ladle broth over the sandwich. Add any extra toppings such as horseradish and prepare to get sloppy.