Venison French Onion Soup Canapé
- Jalapeño Wild Turkey Piccata - May 25, 2022
- Boar Eggplant Rollatini - November 12, 2021
- Crunchy Corn Nut Dove with Ranch Dip - October 9, 2021
Are you looking for a finger-licking good appetizer that will make everyone drool for more? Well, this is it. A canapé is a French appetizer which is basically a tiny version of an open faced sandwich and French onion soup is one of the most classic French dishes. So, I decided to bring that together with the addition of one of my favorite meats on the planet, venison. If you don’t have venison, feel free to swap it out for any game-meat, beef or lamb. Just make sure you make enough because this one will disappear quick!
Listen to our Podcast
Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Amazon Music
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Venison French Onion Soup CanapéCourse: Wild Recipes
1 lb venison back-strap
2 onions, sliced
1 quart beef stock
6 slices baby Swiss cheese
1 baguette, sliced
To taste salt and pepper
- In a cast iron skillet over low-medium heat add butter and onions. Stir constantly until the onions caramelize. Don’t crank the heat too high, you don’t want them to crisp. You’re looking for a nice brown color it should take 10-15 minutes.
- Add in your beef stock and stir. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook down the onion soup until the pan is almost completely dry. This will jam all the soup flavor into the onions. Season the onions with salt and pepper.
- While the onions are cooking. Slice 12 slices of the venison and season with salt and pepper.
- In a hot pan over high heat quickly sear each side of venison. You only want 30 seconds or so on each side. They will cook very fast. Then set the meat aside.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400.
- Arrange 12 slices of baguette on a sheet tray and pop it in the oven to toast them for 4 min. Then remove it from the oven to start assembling.
- On each slice of bread add 1-2 tablespoons of onion mixture, 1 slice of venison and top it with 1/2 a slice of baby Swiss cheese. Then place them back on the sheet tray and pop it in the oven for 3-5min or until the cheese is melted. Remove them from the oven and serve them hot. Enjoy!