Pickled Northern Under a Fur Coat
- Irish-American Fish Pie - March 13, 2023
- Venison Cheeseburger Tater Tot Bites - February 6, 2023
- Hearty Rabbit and Bean Soup - January 20, 2023
This classic Russian winter recipe, Russian Shuba Salad, is a great cold salad traditionally layered with potatoes, onion, carrots, eggs, beets, mayonnaise, & pickled herring. But I used Northern Pike caught while ice fishing here in North Dakota. For the pickled pike, you can use Hank Shaw’s recipe, found here.
Listen to our Podcast
Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Amazon Music
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Pickled Northern Under a Fur CoatCourse: Wild Recipes
1/4 pound pickled Northern Pike, chopped
10 baby carrots, boiled and grated
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup beets, cooked and chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 hardboiled egg, white & yolks separated & chopped
- Use 4-inch mini Springform cake pan or something similar on a large plate and begin by placing potatoes on the bottom.
- Then layer pickled fish, then onion, then carrots, then beets, with a little mayonnaise in between each layer. Place in fridge overnight.
- Before serving, lift cake pan gently off layered mold. Top with chopped egg. Finally, garnish with fresh dill and serve with rye bread or crackers.