Venison Steak Marsala
- Gourmet Backpacking Food Company Launches Kickstarter to Fund New Flavors - April 4, 2023
- YETI Recalls Almost 2 Million Coolers and Cases - March 11, 2023
- The Best Venison Steak au Poivre - February 27, 2023
I think chicken marsala was one of the first dishes I ever made for my mom when I was a kid. I remember taking her the meal while she was working at the local hospital. I am not sure why I never thought to make this as a wild game dish before. The meal is slightly sweet, savory, and comforting.
This meal is also a one pan meal, minus the pasta or starch. I use a stainless-steel pan or pot for the recipe because it gives the steaks a great crispy brown crust. You can use a non-stick pan but you will not get the steaks as brown. Don’t worry about the flour sticking to the pan/pot because you are going to deglaze the pan with the stock and wine while making the sauce. This method captures all those delicious brown bits you get from browning the meat. Enjoy this meal over pasta, creamy polenta, cheese grits, or mashed potatoes for a great dinner any day of the week.
Recipe Name: Venison Steak Marsala
Serving Size: 3-4 servings
Time to make: 30 mins
Special Equipment: Gallon Zip-lock bags, Meat Mallet, Stainless Steel Pan/pot
Also works with: Any Game Steaks
Listen to our Podcast
Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Amazon Music
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
2 lbs venison steaks
½ tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp thyme
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
8 oz mushrooms (baby bella, porcini, shitake), sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ yellow onion, minced
¾ cup game stock (sub unsalted chicken stock)
¾ cup marsala wine
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp minced parsley for garnish
Pasta, polenta, mashed potatoes work well for serving
How to make it
- Place the steaks in a zip-lock bag and use a meat mallet to pound each steak to approximately ¼ of an inch thick.
- Combine the oregano, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and thyme in a small bowl. Evenly season each side of the steaks
- Bring a large stainless-steel pan to heat over medium heat and then add the oil. Allow the oil to come to heat.
- Dredge each of the steaks in flour and the place in the pan.
- Brown each side of the steak for approximately 1-2 mins on each side. Remove the steaks and set aside
- Now for the sauce. Using the same pan, reduce the heat to medium low. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Then stir in the flour. Allow the flour to simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Bring the heat back up to medium. Stir in the mushrooms, onions, garlic. Allow to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the game stock, marsala wine, and the thyme. Allow the mixture to simmer for 4 minutes which will thicken the sauce.
- Taste the sauce and adjust with salt if needed.
- Plate the steaks over the starch and then top with the sauce. Add the minced parsley for garnish. Enjoy!