- DIY Alligator Hunting in Florida - May 11, 2021
- The Best Venison Mississippi Pot Roast - March 15, 2021
- Can the Fake Meat Movement be used to Recruit Hunters? - February 25, 2021
I recently returned from a great expedition to the wild, wild west in search of great rewards. I figured I would open this recipe with a great opening sentence because my adventure was truly epic. You will hear more about that later. Today, with this recipe, I want to celebrate the first meal of the antelope I harvested in Wyoming. My favorite way is to celebrate success is with close friends usually surrounded by food. In this case, we prepared grilled tacos from the antelope loins we harvested in Wyoming.
The combination of grilled meat and grilled veggies paired well together when centered on a tortilla. Sprinkle queso fresco and minced cilantro atop and you have the makings of a fine taco dinner. The step that really makes this meal is the addition of the avocado cream. The sour cream, avocado, and spices give this, already delicious, taco a flavor bump.
Serving Size: 12 tacos
Time to make: 30 minutes
Special Equipment: Grill
Also works with: Any wild game loin steaks
2 lbs Antelope Loin Steaks
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp MeatEater Mastodon Wild Game Rub
2 bell peppers, seeded and quartered
2 onions, peeled and quartered
½ cup sour cream
1 tsp MeatEater Mastodon Wild Game Rub
½ tsp salt
½ tsp chili powder
12 flour tortillas
½ cup minced cilantro
1 cup crumbled queso fresco
1 cups, sliced purple cabbage
How to make it:
- Preheat your grill to 450 degrees.
- While waiting, add the meat to one bowl and the veggies to a separate bowl
- Split the tbsp of oil and tbsp of Mastodon Rub between the two. Mix each bowl’s ingredients to coat all the meat and the veggies.
- Once the grill is to temperature, place the steaks and veggies on the grill and cook to the desired doneness, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While waiting, combine the avocado, sour cream, mastodon rub, salt, and chili powder. Set aside.
- Remove the meat and veggies from the grill, allow to cool, then slice thin.
- Compile your tacos in your favorite manner. Enjoy!