- The Best Venison Mississippi Pot Roast - March 15, 2021
- Can the Fake Meat Movement be used to Recruit Hunters? - February 25, 2021
- CA Bear Hunting Ban Bill Withdrawn - February 1, 2021
This recipe is the companion recipe to the Thai Basil and Ground Game Meat Recipe. Like I said there, I love Asian cuisines and my garden, as discussed in Ep 18 of our Podcast, is rocking with Thai Basil. My house is an even split of meateaters and fisheaters so I often cook both. This recipe was very simple using a cool old school method which never fails. Cooking the fish inside the parchment paper also helps keep the fish from drying out during cooking. I chuckled at myself when I added fish sauce to fresh fish, but trust me… it brings out some great flavors.
Click the link below to enter for a chance to win a Weston Meat Grinder, an Autographed Cookbook, Traeger Sauces, and Traeger Spices! Enter now until July 1st.
Special Equipment: Parchment Paper, Oven
1 cups of fresh Thai Basil + 6 leaves
2 carrots, grated
¼ cup thinly sliced chives
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp oil
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp honey
1 lbs rainbow or steel head fillets, skin on
Salt and ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
Prepared pad thai noodles
Chili sauce (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, mix 4 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tbsp of fish sauce, 2 tsp of honey, and 2 tbsp of lime juice. Whisk until the honey is well incorporated. Set aside.
- Tear a large square piece of parchment for each trout fillet.
- Place the trout fillet on the parchment paper skin side down.
- Squeeze two lime wedges over each piece of fish. Leave the wedges on top of the fish. Lightly season each fillet with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Place 1-2 basil leaves on each fillet. Drizzle 2 tsp of the soy sauce mixture on each fillet, allowing the sauce to accumulate on the parchment paper
- Fold up the side of the parchment and roll to seal in the fish. Make sure the wrapping does not leak. Secure with butcher twine.
- Place all wrapped fish fillets on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the fish is flaky.
- Place 1 cup of basil on a cutting board and cut the leaves using the chiffonade method. See a how-to article. Add the sliced basil to a bowl. Combine with grated carrots, sliced chives, 1 tbsp of lime juice, and 1 tbsp of oil. Set aside
- Place your noodles in a bowl, top with the cooked fish fillet. Then add the basil slaw, sesame seeds, and lime wedge, and some of the soy sauce mixture. Add the chili sauce to your heat preference. Enjoy!