This venison steak recipe is inspired by the Argentine rolled and stuffed flank steak recipe called Matambre. I substituted the eggs for cheese curds out of personal preference. Cheese curds have a higher melting point and can withstand the heat on the grill. My chimichurri recipe is also modified for what I had available and is a variation on the traditional recipe.
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Special equipment: Grill/Smoker, Plastic Wrap, Butcher Twine
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon
¾ cup packed fresh parsley
¼ cup packed fresh cilantro
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
½ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
2 lbs venison steaks
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 tbsp oil
4 oz cheese curds
1/2 tbsp oil
Seasoned Turmeric Rice and grilled veggies also tossed in Tacticalories Veggie Dust Seasoning
- Preheat your Traeger or grill to 475 degrees
- For the Chimichurri, add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until roughly mixed. You want a smooth consistency much like a chutney.
- Slice the bell pepper into long thin strips and place in a bowl. Add ½ tbsp oil and 1 tsp Tacticalories Veggie Dust Seasoning.
- Place one sheet of plastic wrap and place one steak on top. Place an addition sheet of plastic wrap on top of the steak. This will allow you to easily flatten the steaks. Use a meat mallet to flatten the steaks until they are approximately ¼ – ½ inch thick.
- Once flattened, remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Coat the topside of the steak with chimichurri. Be careful not to cross contaminate the main batch of chimichurri by using the same spoon to dip and spread. Add slices of bell pepper and a few cheese curds in a line in the center of the steak.
- Roll the steak like you would roll sushi, using the bottom sheet of plastic wrap to assist in the movement of the steak. See video above for more visual instruction.
- Once rolled, use butcher twine and tie the steak to hold the contents inside.
- Oil the outside of the rolled steaks and place them on the preheated grill.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the desired internal temperature is reached.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes
- Slice across each piece and serve. Use additional Chimichurri on top as desired.