I remembering being a young teen boy in Southeastern Oklahoma and my parents bringing home the newly released taquitos. They were convenient and delicious. I could cook them myself with no issue at all. Taquitos remained popular in my college years. When I moved to Southern California, I learned that these delectable treats were a real meal called rolled tacos! At your local taco shop it was perfectly acceptable for a grown man to enjoy the very same meal he loved as a child, except now there were strides in the topping game.
Enjoy these rolled tacos topped with lettuce, cheese, and sour cream. I would normally add salsa and guacamole, but the stores closed early because of the current health situation. I added the Traeger as the cooking method because it’s a fun way to add a smokiness to the meal while also cooking outside.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Special equipment: Grill/Smoker, Oiled baking pan or baking pan with mat
1 lbs ground venison
1 tbsp oil
½ medium white onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ cup shredded cheddar
½ cup salsa
(14) 6” corn tortillas
Oil for brushing
Sliced lettuce, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
- Preheat oven or Traeger to 400 degrees
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil
- Add venison, onions, garlic, and seasonings to the skillet
- Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add ½ cup salsa and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes more.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes and then stir the cheese into the meat.
- Wrap the tortillas in a moist towel and microwave for 2 minutes to make them more flexible.
- Heat an additional moist towel to cover the rolled tacos
- Place one tortilla on your workspace and place 2-3 tbsp of meat on the front part of the tortilla in a horizontal line.
- Gently roll the tortilla from the meat side forward
- Place the rolled taco on the oiled baking pan and cover with the second warm towel. This keeps the tortillas from cracking while you finish rolling.
- Roll all the remaining tacos and add to the baking pan.
- Brush the top of each rolled taco with a small amount of oil.
- Place the tacos in the Traeger or oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn each taco and return to the grill.
- Remove from the grill after 10 minutes or if the tortillas are a golden brown.
- Plate the rolled tacos and top with sliced lettuce, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.