Venison Rolled Tacos (Taquitos)
- Gourmet Backpacking Food Company Launches Kickstarter to Fund New Flavors - April 4, 2023
- YETI Recalls Almost 2 Million Coolers and Cases - March 11, 2023
- The Best Venison Steak au Poivre - February 27, 2023
I remembering being a young teen boy in Southeastern Oklahoma and my parents bringing home the newly released taquitos. They were convenient and delicious. I could cook them myself with no issue at all. Taquitos remained popular in my college years. When I moved to Southern California, I learned that these delectable treats were a real meal called rolled tacos! At your local taco shop it was perfectly acceptable for a grown man to enjoy the very same meal he loved as a child, except now there were strides in the topping game.
Enjoy these rolled tacos topped with lettuce, cheese, and sour cream. I would normally add salsa and guacamole, but the stores closed early because of the current health situation. I added the Traeger as the cooking method because it’s a fun way to add a smokiness to the meal while also cooking outside.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Special equipment: Grill/Smoker, Oiled baking pan or baking pan with mat
1 lbs ground venison
1 tbsp oil
½ medium white onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ cup shredded cheddar
½ cup salsa
(14) 6” corn tortillas
Oil for brushing
Sliced lettuce, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream
Listen to our Podcast
Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Amazon Music
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
- Preheat oven or Traeger to 400 degrees
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil
- Add venison, onions, garlic, and seasonings to the skillet
- Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add ½ cup salsa and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes more.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes and then stir the cheese into the meat.
- Wrap the tortillas in a moist towel and microwave for 2 minutes to make them more flexible.
- Heat an additional moist towel to cover the rolled tacos
- Place one tortilla on your workspace and place 2-3 tbsp of meat on the front part of the tortilla in a horizontal line.
- Gently roll the tortilla from the meat side forward
- Place the rolled taco on the oiled baking pan and cover with the second warm towel. This keeps the tortillas from cracking while you finish rolling.
- Roll all the remaining tacos and add to the baking pan.
- Brush the top of each rolled taco with a small amount of oil.
- Place the tacos in the Traeger or oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn each taco and return to the grill.
- Remove from the grill after 10 minutes or if the tortillas are a golden brown.
- Plate the rolled tacos and top with sliced lettuce, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.