- New Jersey Fish and Game Approves “Emergency” October Bear Hunt - September 16, 2021
- Deer and Beer Pie - August 13, 2021
- Feral Pigs Release Same Amount of CO2 as 1 Million Cars - July 22, 2021
Since we are all quarantined and the kids are climbing the walls, I figured I would create a delicious recipe that is kid friendly, healthy, and easy to make. You can even batter the fish and freeze until you need to bake. This recipe is intended to take place of the traditional fish stick your get in the frozen food isle. Using fresh wild, healthy fish will yield much better flavors while also satisfying the little creatures running amuck in your home.
I don’t often use cooking spray, but this recipe work really well with the aerosol oil. You can also use a brush and lightly coat each fish finger. The mashed potato recipe is absolutely divine and is always my go to recipe when making my favorite spud dish.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Special Equipment: Oven, baking pan, cooking spray (coconut or grapeseed)
1 lbs white flaky, yet firm, white fish (such as, catfish, snapper, cod, bass)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
Zest from 1 lemon
1 cup of flour
2 eggs, whisked
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 cup of Italian bread cumbs
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Tasty Mashed Potatoes
2.5 lbs of red potatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 stick of butter
1 cup of milk
Corn on the Cob
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove top. Once the water begins to boil, add the potatoes and allow to cook for approximately 20 minutes or until a fork easily sticks into the potato.
- Once cooked, remove the pot from the stove and drain the water. Slightly mash all the potatoes in the pot then add the salt, white pepper, garlic powder, butter and milk. Finish mashing the potatoes.
- Slice each fish fillet into approximately ¾ inch strips cutting length ways on the fillet. Lay out the fish and amply season each piece with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Zest a lemon over the pieces.
- Add the Italian seasonings to the breadcrumbs and mix well. This will give you some extra flavor in addition to the already seasoned breadcrumbs. Whisk the mustard into the egg wash mixture.
- Add the flour to its own bowl. Roll each piece of fish in the flour, then dip the fish in the eqq wash, and then dredge the fish in the bread crumbs. Place each piece of fish on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Spray the fish sticks on the top with cooking spray. I recommend coconut cooking spray or grape seed cooking spray.
- Place the sheet in the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. You will flip each piece and spray the other side of the sticks.
- Once golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve with ketchup, tarter sauce, rémoulade, or even BBQ sauce.