- Mountain Lion, Bobcat, and Bear Hunting Challenged in AZ - January 13, 2022
- 12 Holiday Gifts for Every Hunter, Angler and Forager - December 10, 2021
- Cookbook Review: The Hog Book by Jesse Griffiths and Jody Horton - October 19, 2021
I recently purchased a Sous Vide and it is a game changer. I used one back several years ago when they first came out while I was cooking professionally in San Diego and I have closely monitored their popularity over the years as the device became more available for the home cook. Well, I bit the bullet and purchased my own with the intention of expanding my wild game and fish cooking.
The recipe is something special aside from being partially prepared in the Sous Vide. I have never heard of anyone making a peking dove recipe. Peking duck is a famous Chinese preparation of duck, usually the pekin breed. It involves drying and roasting the duck over a couple of days to get a crispy skin. My recipe is an adaptation of that recipe to include the sous vide and the grill as a method to finish the dove, resulting in a crispy saucy delicious version of the duck recipe.
Special Equipment: Sous Vide, Plastic Sous Vide bags, Grill
6 Whole Doves, Cleaned
2 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Chinese 5 Spice
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Hosin Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 Cucumber, Thinly Sliced (1/4 inch)
1 Carrot, Finely Shredded
4 Shallots, Minced
Sprinkle of Salt and Pepper
3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 Cups of Prepared Jasmine Rice
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
1. Bring your Sous Vide to 140 degrees
2. Place doves in a Sous Vide bag and set aside
3. In a mixing bowl, combine honey, Chinese 5 spice, soy sauce, brown sugar, hosin sauce, and sesame oil. Mix well
4. Spilt the sauce in half and reserve half. Pour the remaining half in the bag with the dove. Move the dove around to coat all edges. Vacuum seal the bag or remove all the air.
5. Place the sealed bag in the Sous Vide and cook for 1 hour at 140 degrees
6. While waiting, prepare vegetables and rice
7. In a mixing bowl, combine cucumbers, salt, pepper, vinegar, carrots, and shallots
8. Place in refrigerator and allow to cool
9. Within the last 15 minutes of the dove cooking, bring your grill to high heat
10. Remove the dove as the hour finishes and place the dove on the grill
11. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees
12. Plate you rice, then veggies, then dove, and then top with sesame seeds and the remaining sauce.