- New Jersey Fish and Game Approves “Emergency” October Bear Hunt - September 16, 2021
- Deer and Beer Pie - August 13, 2021
- Feral Pigs Release Same Amount of CO2 as 1 Million Cars - July 22, 2021
Recipe contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend.
Soft boiled eggs, crunchy corn flakes, deep fried anything; who doesn’t this recipe excite? The whole thing combines so many satisfying sensations that you cannot help but enjoy the meal. To top it all off, the pickled mustard seeds add another layer of complexity. Honestly, anything pickled has my attention and it should gain yours as well. Enjoy!
Pickled Mustard Ingredients:
½cup of apple cider vinegar
½ cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup of yellow mustard seeds
2 tbsp minced purple onion
- Combine apple cider vinegar and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil
- Add sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, bay leaf, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, and minced purple onion.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place in a sealable container and store in the fridge overnight
- Can be used for up to two weeks if sealed properly
Scotch Eggs Ingredients:
9 large eggs
1 lbs ground venison (90:10 meat:fat ratio)
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp Herbs de Provence
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp maple syrup
3 tsp stone ground mustard or German mustard
4 cups of corn flakes, crushed
1 cup of flour
Oil for frying
- Place 6 eggs in a small pot and cover with water
- Remove eggs and set aside.
- Bring water to boil and carefully add eggs back to boiling water
- Allow to cook for 6 minutes exactly
- Remove eggs from water and gently submerge in ice bath
- Allow eggs to cook then carefully peel the eggs under cold water.
- Combine ground venison, fennel seeds, white pepper, Herbs de Provence, garlic, salt, maple syrup, mustard, and ½ cup of corn flakes
- Mix well until you are able to form a loaf with the meat
- Divide the meat into six equal portions
- Place 1 portion of meat in the palm of your hand and spread until your cover your palm and fingers.
- Place 1 egg in the middle of the meat and gently encase the egg with the meat
- Repeat for all 6 eggs
- Whisk two raw eggs and set aside
- Bring your cooking oil up to 350 degrees F
- Coat 1 scotch egg in flour, dip in the egg wash, and the roll in the remaining crushed corn flakes
- Place in oil and allow to cook until golden brown
- Repeat for all eggs.
- Serve with a side of the pickled mustard and enjoy!