ADVOCATE FOR BEAR HUNTING IN FLORIDA’S BLACK BEAR MANAGEMENT PLAN
Our buddies over at Backcountry Hunters and Anglers are looking for some help to let the FWC know we would like to be able to hunt bears in Florida as part of their management review. The reemergence of black bears in FL has been another conservation success story. Based on current populations, the bears are thriving and may be approaching overpopulation in some areas. Please see below for more information.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is currently in the process of updating their black bear management plan and is soliciting comments from the public as part of this process. Please join the Southeast Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers in asking the commission to allow black bear hunting in the plan by submitting the letter linked HERE!
As a bonus, we would like to share our favorite black bear burger recipe as well!
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Black Bear Burger with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
Blue Berry BBQ Sauce
2 cups fresh blue berries
3 garlic cloves, minced
Â½ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbs sugar
3 tbsp ketchup
Â½ teaspoon salt
Â½ teaspoon black pepper
Â¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Bring a medium sauce pan to high heat
2. Add all the ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes until thick
3. Remove from pan and allow to cool
4. Place the mixture in a blender or food processor and puree
5. Store the BBQ sauce in a glass container until ready to use
Black Bear Burger
1 lbs ground bear meat
2 tbsp minced scallions
Â½ cup bread crumbs
1 egg, whisked
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
2. Press or form the meat into thin patties
3. Grill, bake, or pan cook until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees
You must cook the bear all the way through. Most bears have trichinosis which humans can catch if the meat is not cooked about 160 degrees
4. Serve with the Blue Berry BBQ Sauce
Don’t forget to mark you calendar for the launch of our Wild Fish and Game Podcast!