- Cookbook Review: The Hog Book by Jesse Griffiths and Jody Horton - October 19, 2021
- Spicy Southwest Chili Antelope Burger - October 11, 2021
- New Jersey Fish and Game Approves “Emergency” October Bear Hunt - September 16, 2021
Recipe contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend.
This delicious taco recipe is great with just about any cut of venison because you are cooking it hot and fast. I prefer the cast iron skillet, but cooking the meat on the grill would be equally delicious. This meal is great for a large family or parties where you want to show off your wild game cooking skills.
Yield: 8-10 tacos
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
2 lbs venison, cut in slices
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 limes, juiced (about 2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin seed (if have whole, toast and then grind)
4 garlic cloves, minced (4 teaspoons)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
½ cup finely chopped cilantro (great flavor in the stems!)
Thinly sliced purple cabbage or lettuce, salsa verde, queso fresco, and pickled purple onion
- Marinate the steak: Whisk to combine the olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and cumin in a large, non-reactive bowl or baking dish. Stir in the minced garlic, jalapeño, and cilantro.
- Place the steak in the marinade and turn over a couple of times to coat thoroughly.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
- Bring a cast iron skillet to medium high heat and sear meat
- While cooking meat, warm the tortillas
- Garnish with purple slaw cilantro/lettuce, salsa verde, queso fresco, purple onion