- Podcast: Adventures for Food, Ep 04, The Flintlock Fiasco - October 25, 2020
- Braised Squirrel Chili - October 5, 2020
- Preparing for Youth Squirrel Hunts - July 28, 2020
Recipe contributed by Managing Editor K. Slye
It has only been in the last couple years that I’ve started to save and eat the heart. I attribute it to watching Steven Rinella on his “Meateater” show, he has inspired me to be more adventurous in how I cook my wild game. While it’s not my favorite cut of meat, I’m learning to enjoy the heart. I’ve cooked it a couple different ways, fried in bacon grease, smoked put on a cracker with cheese, but I wanted to try something different this time around, so I took stock of what was in the pantry and came up with this. Enjoy!
- 1 lbs ground venison
- 1-2 deer hearts, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 cups instant white rice
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1-2 TBS Assault and Pepper seasoning from Tacticalories
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup water
- Stir fry vegetables – I used the a half package of frozen stir fry vegetables from the freezer section at the grocery store
- Coat the bottom of a Dutch oven in bacon grease or vegetable oil and put on medium-high heat
- Put in the onions and garlic and cook until softened
- While garlic and onions are cooking, cook rice per directions on box.
- Add ground venison and seasoning to Dutch oven and allow meat to brown.
- Once meat is browned add the cooked rice, tomato soup, water, vegetables, and chopped heart
- Allow to simmer for 2 hours or more.
- Scoop out into a bowl and enjoy with a big hunk of Italian bread
Tacticalories creates small-batch, craft seasonings, ground only a few days before arriving at your door. So you know what you are getting are the freshest, highest quality ingredients that your wild game deserves. Tacticalories offers a full line of seasonings that work with any type of wild game or fish, from antelope to whitetail, arctic char to yellow perch, and everything in between.
Use PROMO Code HARVEST10 to get 10% off your order of select products.