Recipe contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend
Many times, some of the most delicious flavors come from a combination of simple, high quality ingredients and careful preparation. This recipe is very simple, yet requires the utmost attention. I was recently turned on to Tacticalories spices by our Managing Editor, Kory, who has been using the products for some time now. My curiosity got the better of me so I put in an order for the Carving House Blend, which I thought would go best with the wild game or even hearty fish. On a warm Sunday afternoon, I prepared the wood in my smoker to put this seasoning to the test. I don’t think you are going to be disappointed when you try it out.
Smoked Pork Butt
Cooking Time: 1.5 hours/pound
Temperature: 250 degrees
- ½ cup Salt
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 cup of Tacticalories Carving House Blend
- ½ cup minced garlic
- ½ cup minced shallots
- ¼ cup olive or grapeseed oil
- ½ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Pork Butt
- Tin Foil
- Combine ½ cup salt and water. Heating water may make dissolving the salt easier. You will need enough of this brine to fully submerge the pork butt in the brine.
- Allow the brine to cool to room temperature.
- Place the pork butt in a container that will allow the brine to be added and to fully cover
- Pour the brine over the pork and refrigerate overnight.
- Fire up the smoker and get wood to a stable 250 degree heat
- Remove the pork butt from the brine and wash in fresh water to remove the majority of the salty residue.
- Season the pork butt with the Worcestershire Sauce
- Rub the garlic, shallots, and Tacticalories Carving House Blend onto all sides of the pork butt.
- Wrap in tin foil and place on the smoker
- Cook the first half of the time with the foil on then remove for the second half
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees
- Remove from the smoker and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- You can serve the meat sliced, chopped, or pulled
Tacticalories creates small-batch, craft seasonings, ground only a few days before arriving at your door. So you know what you are getting are the freshest, highest quality ingredients that your wild game deserves. Tacticalories offers a full line of seasonings that work with any type of wild game or fish, from antelope to whitetail, arctic char to yellow perch, and everything in between.
Use PROMO Code HARVEST10 to get 10% off your order of select products.