Recipe contributed by Field Staff Writer A. Zada
Most people don’t get the opportunity to taste the deliciousness of wild boar. It has a distinct flavor that has been developed by its surrounding habitat. With farmed pigs you get bland meat that has been fed corn or soybean meal all its life, mostly because it is inexpensive and fattens them up. This works because whatever you use to season it comes right through. As for Wild boar and all other game meat you get to taste it’s habitat. Feasting on nuts, fruits and grass wild boar has a much more developed flavor that’s always a pleasure to eat.
2 tsp Olive oil
1 Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
4 cups spinach
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 cup Parmesan, shredded
Arugula Pesto Ingredients:
4 cloves Garlic
1/3 cup pistachios
2 cups Arugula, packed
½ cup Parmesan, shredded
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2/3 cup olive oil
4 lbs. Wild Boar Loin, 3/4” thick steaks
- Place medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Add onions and sweat for 2-3 min or until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add spinach one handful at a time until it wilts down then add another handful.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside in a bowl to cool down and use later. Once it has cooled a bit add the Parmesan cheese and mix up.
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend for 30 seconds until sauce consistency.
- Preheat oven to 425° F (or using a Traeger or other pellet grill, preheat on High)
- Using a paring knife cut a pocket into the ¾” side of the Boar chop. Cut directly in the middle so it is even on both sides. Be sure not to cut all the way through so the stuffing doesn’t come out the other side.
- Fill each chop with about a tablespoon of the stuffing.
- Season chops with salt and pepper all over.
- Place chops on a sheet tray and place in preheated oven. (If using Traeger or pellet grill. Do not use a sheet tray and place directly on the grill) Cook for 15 min or when internal temperature is at least 145°
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 3 min.
- Serve topped with Arugula Pistachio Pesto. Enjoy!