Latest posts by Justin Townsend
- Blue Cheese Venison Meatloaf - June 5, 2020
- Stuffed Venison Steaks with Homemade Chimichurri - May 1, 2020
- Venison and Black Bean Chili with Cornbread Waffles - April 13, 2020
Recipe contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend.
This meal is the perfect 4th of July meal for those who want to eat delicious BBQ, but are watching what they eat. Remember, hunting season is just around the corner. Hunting, cooking, BBQ sauce, spicy foods, and eating healthy all collide to make this off the wall, yet extremely delicious, salad. I always recommend cooking on the grill, but I did not have one available at the time of this meal so the stove top sufficed. Enjoy this great spicy wild summer salad!
1 lbs ground venison
1 egg, whisked
3 garlic cloves, minced
Â¼ yellow onion, minced
1 Portobello mushroom, sliced length-ways
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 head butter lettuce, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced
BBQ sauce of choice, (I used 12 Bones from Asheville, NC)
2 tablespoons oil
This recipe can be prepared on the grill or on the stove top.
- Mix the venison, garlic, onion, egg, 3 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper, red pepper flakes, and Sriracha
- Form into quarter size balls
- Bring a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet
- Add meat balls and rotate frequently until cooked through
- Remove from heat and douse with BBQ sauce
- Set aside
- Bring a large skillet to medium-high heat
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil
- Coat the mushroom slices with the remaining seasoning
- Add to skillet and cook until browned and soft
- You can also saute the bell peppers if you choose.
- Place atop the lettuce and top with meatballs
- Pour over a desired amount of BBQ sauce