- Three Simple Exercises to Improve Backcountry Endurance - February 4, 2022
- Great Plains Meatloaf - January 10, 2022
- Sheds for Salvation - May 8, 2021
Recipe contributed by Field Staff Writer G. Ford.
This is a seriously simple recipe that turns out a classic, delicious meatloaf. This is a great dish to knock out when you want to cook at home, but do not want a lot of prep work. From start to finish, you can be done and eating in about 90 minutes. Really, the only work this recipe requires is mixing ingredients in a bowl. There is plenty of room for customization in this recipe, for folks who would like to add or substitute in interesting ingredients (bacon certainly comes to mind).
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: ~75 minutes
2 lbs. Ground Venison
2 Large Eggs
1 Box (6 oz) StoveTop Stuffing
1Â Cup Water
1 Small/Medium Sized Yellow Onion, Chopped
1/4 Cup Barbeque Sauce
1 TBSP Ground Black Pepper
1 TBSP Salt
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Beat eggs in a small bowl.
3) Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently mix together until the mixture is even. The first setting of a KitchenAid mixer is ideal, or you can you use your (clean) hands.
4) Place the mixture into a meatloaf pan that you have greased with butter. Then, brush 1/4 – 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce on the top.
5) Place into the oven, uncovered, for 60 – 90 minutes, or until internal temperature is 165 degrees.
I was amazed how simple of a preparation turned out such a great result. After my first plate, I couldn’t help myself. I went back for seconds, which I slathered in ketchup. It might be blasphemy for game meat to touch ketchup, but something about meatloaf and ketchup just go hand-in-hand, for me. Enjoy with a big, bold red wine, and you are going to be smiling.