- Feral Pigs Release Same Amount of CO2 as 1 Million Cars - July 22, 2021
- Cook Better Ground Wild Game Meat - July 13, 2021
- Will Hunting and Fishing be Criminalized in Oregon? - July 10, 2021
Recipe provided by Editor in Chief J. Townsend
Let me first add a disclaimer to this recipe. There is no raw meat despite the title. I am by no means an expert at making sushi but I love to learn and grow in my sushi skills. This recipe is very flexible and is easy to change and adapt to what you have in your pantry and refrigerator. I have provided links below for the use of brown rice or white rice as well as a list of suggested fillings to accompany your ground venison. As you debate which ingredients you will place inside the roll, I ask you to consider this. Think thinâ€¦ to clarify, think thinly sliced. Anything you place inside the roll should be as thinly sliced as you can get it. This will make rolling and eating the sushi easier. With this saidâ€¦. Letâ€™s roll!
Makes 4 – 5 rolls
- 2 servings of white or brown prepared sushi rice (links are included for preparation of both)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lbs of ground venison
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Â½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Â½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 5 sheets of nori (seaweed wrappers)
- Water for dipping your hands when rolling
- Sushi rolling mat
- Prepare brown or white Sushi rice as directed and set aside to cool.
- Bring a pan to medium- high heat and add oil
- Place venison, onions, soy sauce, and seasonings into pan and brown
- Once brown, set aside and let cool
- Place sushi mat down flat and place nori on top
- Divide your rice into 4 or 5 separate clumps
- Wet your hands and spread your rice out onto the nori. Leave the top 1â€ free of rice. Wet your hands as needed
- Place your cooked venison in the center of the rice
- Add your other fillings and sauces(suggestions below). Be careful not to add too many items because it will be hard to roll in the next step.
- Now it is time to roll. Bring the side of the mat the is closest to you up and over the contents. Use your finger to keep everything inside. Tuck the wrapper into the riceless side of the wrapped. Use your hands on top of the sushi mat to â€œsquishâ€ everything together and form a cylinder.
- Remove the sushi mat
- Wet your knife and slice into 1â€ â€“ 2â€ pieces
- Plate and top with sauce if so desired.
Bell Peppers, Avocado, Green Onions, Cucumbers, Jalapeno, Cooked Asparagus, Jicama, Tamago (sweet egg), Fried Shrimp, Blanched Spinach, Cheese, Mushrooms (cooked or uncooked), Bamboo Shoots
Suggested Sauces for inside or out:
BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, ginger dressing, spicy mayo, eel sauce, sesame oil, ponzu, sweet soy sauce, wasabi
Have fun with this recipe and enjoy!