- The Best Venison Mississippi Pot Roast - March 15, 2021
- Can the Fake Meat Movement be used to Recruit Hunters? - February 25, 2021
- CA Bear Hunting Ban Bill Withdrawn - February 1, 2021
Recipe Contributed by Editor in Chief J. Townsend.
Cacio e Pepe is an Italian dish from the Roman region of Italy. When translated it means, “Cheese and Pepper”. This is a simple yet amazingly delicious dish which is made even better by the addition of the homemade wild pork sausage. I added in some Oyster Mushrooms from my Back to the Roots Organic Mushroom Mini Farm. These mushrooms grew on my countertop in just a matter of days and gave that added smoothness to the wild pork sausage.
Caciao e Pepe (Cheese and Black Pepper Pasta)
- Water for boiling pasta
- 1 lbs of spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring water to boil in large pot and cook spaghetti until it is al dente.
2. Bring a skillet to heat over a medium high flame
3. Roast the black pepper for about 20-30 seconds
4. Add the butter and olive oil to the pan and allow the butter to melt
5. Remove from the heat and set aside
6. Once the pasta has cooked, reserve ½ cup of the water and then drain the remainder
7. Add ¼ cup of pasta water to the oil and butter
8. Add the pasta and stir over a medium flame
9. Stir in the cheese
10. You may add some additional pasta water, if needed, to loosen the sauce.
11. Serve with more grated Parmesan on the side, if desired.
Wild Pork Sausage
- 1 lbs of ground wild pork
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- ¼ yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 cup minced oyster mushrooms (Back to Our Roots Kit)
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
1. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl, excluding the olive oil
2. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat
3. Add the Olive oil and the sausage mixture
4. Brown the Sausage mixture
5. Top the pasta and serve.