- New Jersey Fish and Game Approves “Emergency” October Bear Hunt - September 16, 2021
- Deer and Beer Pie - August 13, 2021
- Feral Pigs Release Same Amount of CO2 as 1 Million Cars - July 22, 2021
Recipe Contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend.
I assume that many of you are staring at the screen right now wondering what exactly is a venison cupcake. Well, let me shed a little light on this for you. A venison cupcake is essentially venison meatloaf inside a thin flaky crust which is then baked in a muffin tin! Viola! Venison Cupcake. This kid friendly, easy to eat dish is likely to impress and puzzle all who eat it.
The ground venison is seasoned with Moroccan inspired flavors and coupled with diced eggplant and onions. I attempted to make homemade wonton wrappers but was not so successful so I recommend using store bought wonton wrappers, unless you possess phenomenal pastry skills and a good amount of patience. If you still want to give your homemade wonton wrapper a go then here is a great recipe from Kitchen Simplicity where they swear that this is a simple process.
- 1 lbs ground venison
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 eggplant, skinned and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- (1) 8oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 package of wonton wrappers (at least 24 in count)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and continue cooking while you wait
2. Mix the cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, cumin, white pepper, black pepper, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric, and salt. Set aside 1 teaspoon of this mixture.
3. Bring a large pan to heat over a medium-high flame
4. Add your olive oil, eggplant, onions, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes
5. Season with the spice mixture, add the ground venison, and brown the meat
6. Drain off drippings and set the meat aside in bowl
7. Grease a 12 space muffin tin
8. Place two wonton wrappers in the bottom of each space. You want the points to stick up
9. Mix 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce in with your meat
10. Scoop the meat mixture into the wonton wrapper filled tin
1. Add the remaining Tomato sauce to your drippings in the pan
2. Season with the 1 teaspoon of seasoning you set aside earlier
3. Simmer for and stir frequently until the sauce thickens to a consistency of ketchup
4. Top each of the cupcakes with the sauce
5. Place them in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the wonton wrappers begin to brown.