Butternut Squash and Ginger Soup with Wild Pork Sausage Meatballs
- YETI Recalls Almost 2 Million Coolers and Cases - March 11, 2023
- The Best Venison Steak au Poivre - February 27, 2023
- The Best Ground Venison Taco Meat - January 25, 2023
Contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend
The temperature really has begun to drop around the country. That makes me think of one food. I am a huge fan if soup when the temperature begins to drop. This recipe uses fresh seasonal ingredients paired with some ground Wild Pork Sausage. Even though I have a love for soups I feel that there are many soups which are justâ€¦plain. I wanted to dress this up with something that gave you a zingâ€¦ in comes the fresh ginger.
Listen to our Podcast
Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Amazon Music
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
2 lbs Ground Wild Pork (you can substitute Venison)
2 tablespoons Italian Breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
Â½ teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1 Butternut Squash, cleaned, peeled, and chopped
1 head of Broccoli, chopped
Â½ Red Onion, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
.5 oz Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped
5 cups Pork Stock or Vegetable Stock
Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Mix the Ground Wild Pork, Italian Breadcrumbs, Garlic Powder, Salt, and ground Black Pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Roll the meat into quarter sized meatballs (approximately an inch in diameter)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat
- Add the Red Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Garlic, and Ginger
- Cook until the onions become clear, stirring occasionally
- Add the Butternut Squash, Broccoli, and the Stock
- Cover the pot and bring to high heat
- Once boiling, reduce the heat, and allow to cook for 10 minutes
- Brown the meatballs in a cast iron skillet while the soup cooks
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree the soup mixture in a blender (You may have to blend several batches)
- Place the pureed soup back into the pot and add the meatballs
- Season with additional Salt and Pepper to taste
- Allow the mixture to cook uncovered on medium-low heat for an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from heat, garnish with minced scallions, and serve
3 thoughts on “Butternut Squash and Ginger Soup with Wild Pork Sausage Meatballs”
great picture and great dish!
Thank you! I was equally delicious.
I love pureed vegetable soups. The silky texture can’t be beat. I find the process of blending it in a blender to be a bit hairy, but then I was scalded doing that once. Immersion blender, ftw.