- DIY Alligator Hunting in Florida - May 11, 2021
- The Best Venison Mississippi Pot Roast - March 15, 2021
- Can the Fake Meat Movement be used to Recruit Hunters? - February 25, 2021
Recipe contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend.
If you have looked outside lately you can certainly tell that Fall is in the air. The leaves are changing, people are beginning to think of the holidays, and hunters all around North America are gearing up for deer seasons. I recently found some inspiration for this dish by combining some seasonal ingredients with some wild venison.
I decided to pair the sage with the venison because in many of the western states Mule Deer can regularly be found eating this fragrant plant throughout the Fall and Winter. I added the pumpkin in there because it seemed fresh and gave some solid earthy flavors to the sauce. The wild rice cake is just an added bonus to give more substance to the dish as a whole.
- 1 lbs Ground Venison
- 3 tablespoons minced White Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Egg, whisked
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Mix the Ground Venison, White Onion, Garlic, and Egg in a large mixing bowl
- Add Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Form the mixture into 4 patties
- Bring a Cast Iron Skillet to High Heat
- Place the patties into the skillet and allow each side to brown
Wild Rice Crisps
- 1 cup, cooked Wild Rice
- 1 tablespoon Almond Milk or Cow’s Milk
- 1 Egg, whisked
- ¼ cup Cornmeal
- 3 Scallions, minced
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Mix the Wild Rice, milk, egg, cornmeal, minced scallions, salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl
- Bring the coconut oil to medium heat in a saute pan
- Roll the mixture into golf ball sized balls and flatten
- Place the flatten cakes into the oil and brown on each side.
Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce
- 1 cups Steamed Pumpkin Chunks (1″ x 1″ pieces)
- ¼ cup Almond Milk or Cow’s Milk
- 12 Fresh Sage Leaves, julienned (cut into thin strips)
- 1 cup diced Mushrooms
- ¼ cup diced White Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Add the Steamed Pumpkin and milk to a blender and puree the ingredients. You will only need ¾ cup of this puree to add to the sauce.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and allow to melt
- Add the onions, garlic, salt, sage, and mushrooms to the pan.
- Cook for 2 – 3 minutes
- Stir in the ¾ cup of pumpkin puree from above
- Cook for another 2 minutes
- Turn off the fire and add 1 tablespoon of butter
- Lightly shake the contents of the pan as the butter melts. This will cause the sauce to cream up. Be careful not to splash the sauce out of the pan.
- Serve the sauce over the Venison and the Wild Rice Cake