- 6 Tips for Recovering Injured Animals - February 8, 2024
- Fishing for Trout in Yellowstone - August 24, 2023
- Three Simple Exercises to Improve Backcountry Endurance - February 4, 2022
Both the meat and vegetables were harvested from the same area in Central California. Monterey County has the second highest harvest numbers for Wild Pigs in the entire state of California. Artichokes also are grown in large quantities in this same county. It is hard to drive anywhere around MontereyÂ and not see a roadside produce stand selling these delicious vegetables. Those Wild Pigs live and breathe in the very same dirt where the artichokes are cultivated. Is there some correlation for flavor? I think so! I decided to throw some of the artichokes into the smoker and then into the crock pot with a hunk of Wild Pork Roast.
I would advise to break the preparation up into a two day process to make it easier. If not, you will find yourself scrambling to get all the cooking completed in one setting.
Like what we are creating? Buy us a coffee to say thanks!
Marinate the Pork Overnight:
2.5 â€“ 3 lbs Pork Roast
1 cup apple cider vinegar
Â¼ cup liquid smoke
2 tablespoons Cajun seasonings
Salt and pepper to taste
Smoke the Artichokes
12 medium sized Artichokes
- Use scissors to remove all of the thorns from the ends of each leaf.
- Cut the artichokes in half and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add the steaming basket
- Place the artichokes in the steamer basket and cook for 20-30 minutes
- Bring you smoker to 200 degrees
- Remove the artichokes from the steamer basket
- Use a knife or spoon to remove the fuzzy inedible section from the center of each artichoke half
- Place the artichokes in the smoker to cook for 1 hour
- Remove and allow to cool
- Store in a cool place overnight or until you are ready to prepare the pork.
Cook the Pork and Artichokes in the Slow Cooker
1 Marinated Pork Roast (see above)
2 cups pork or beef stock
Artichokes from above
- Add the liquid from the marinade, the pork, and pork/beef stock to the slow cooker (aka crock pot)
- Turn on High heat and cook for 5 hours
- Add the artichokes and cook for another hour
- Serve immediately. I garnished mine with capers and BBQ sauce.