- DIY Alligator Hunting in Florida - May 11, 2021
- The Best Venison Mississippi Pot Roast - March 15, 2021
- Can the Fake Meat Movement be used to Recruit Hunters? - February 25, 2021
Recipe contributed by Editor-in-Chief J. Townsend.
Venison burgers are the classic go to ground meat in my house. I always set aside the prime cuts on the deer and then everything else gets ground up later. I try to get as much ground meat off of the deer as possible. The great this is that is pairs with just about anything but burgers are always my favorite. Check out the recipe below and then go toss some ground meat on the grill this weekend.
- 1 lbs ground venison
- 1/4 purple onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup woodear mushrooms, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Form the meat into balls slightly larger than golf balls
- Smash the meat balls flat into patties and lightly coat them with the olive oil
- Place in them in the refrigerator to chill while you fire up the grill
- Fire up grill, preferable charcoal, these patties deserve that smoky charcoal grill flavor
- Once the grill is at a suitable temperature, place the patties on the grate.
- Cook 2-3 minutes each side, if you are adding cheese, which I highly recommend white cheddar, add it to the patties after the first flip so that it get nice and melted.
- Don’t forget about the condiments
Although they may not be needed, any one of these condiments can enhance your already delicious burger.
- Stone Ground Mustard
- Garlic Aioli
- Substitute Fresh Mustard Greens instead of Lettuce
- Fried Egg
- Plum Jam or Preserves
- Bread and Butter Pickles, homemade are the best