Recipe Contributed by Managing Editor K. Slye.
For many hunters small game is the first type of game they hunt and harvest. Seasons are long, bag limits are generous, and game is plentiful. A hunter needs little more than a rifle or shot gun and a handful of shells to be fully equipped.
This past fall I thought my daughter would enjoy a morning of squirrel hunting with her old man. Early on in October the fall chill had yet to take effect in Pennsylvania. It was a perfect Saturday for her first squirrel hunt.
We lucked into some squirrel and my daughter was able to experience the whole process of harvesting her own meal. She eagerly carried the day’s bounty out of the woods to the truck, and was attentive and curious as I cleaned and skinned the squirrel. I wanted to make something with the squirrel even a 4-year-old, picky eater would enjoy. What better than squirrel noodle soup!
- 2-3 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2-3 Celery stalks, chopped
- 4 Tomatoes
- 4-6 Squirrels
- Egg noodles (1 Bag)
- Tacticalories Brand Assault and Pepper Seasoning
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- In Crockpot place chopped carrots, celery, and onion, covering the bottom.
- Liberally sprinkle meat with Assault and Pepper and place on top of vegetables
- Add water so meat is covered
- Add bouillon cubes
- Cook in crockpot until meat falls off of bones – approximately 8 hours. If it doesn’t fall off the bone, leave it in longer. Make sure that it is covered with liquid, add water if necessary.
- Once cooked, pick out all bones, leaving only good quality meat
- Strain liquid from crockpot and put in a pot on the stove to boil
- Bring pot to boil and put in tomatoes, boil until tomatoes are tender
- Bring noodles to a boil in a separate pot
- Put softened tomatoes in blender and blend until smooth (careful not to overfill blender)
- Add broth, noodles, and squirrel meat together, garnish with fresh parsley and serve
Tacticalories creates small-batch, craft seasonings, ground only a few days before arriving at your door. So you know what you are getting are the freshest, highest quality ingredients that your wild game deserves. Tacticalories offers a full line of seasonings that work with any type of wild game or fish, from antelope to whitetail, arctic char to yellow perch, and everything in between.
Use PROMO Code HARVEST10 to get 10% off your order of select products.