Recipe contributed by Field Staff Writer G. Ford.
ThisÂ is a seriously simple recipe that turns out a classic, delicious meatloaf.Â This is a great dish to knock out when you want to cook at home, but do not want a lot of prep work.Â From start to finish, you can be done and eating in about 90 minutes.Â Really, the only work this recipe requires is mixing ingredients in a bowl.Â There is plenty of room for customization in this recipe, for folks who would like to add or substitute in interesting ingredients (bacon certainly comes to mind).Â
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: ~75 minutes
2 lbs. Ground Venison
2 Large Eggs
1 Box (6 oz) StoveTop Stuffing
1Â Cup Water
1 Small/MediumÂ SizedÂ Yellow Onion, Chopped
1/4 Cup Barbeque Sauce
1 TBSP Ground Black Pepper
1 TBSP Salt
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Beat eggs in a small bowl.
3) CombineÂ all ingredients inÂ a mixing bowl and gently mix together until the mixture is even.Â The first setting of a KitchenAid mixer is ideal, or you can you use your (clean) hands.
4) Place the mixture into a meatloaf pan that you have greased with butter.Â Then, brush 1/4 – 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce on the top.
5) Place into the oven, uncovered, for 60 – 90 minutes, or until internal temperature is 165 degrees.
I was amazed how simple of a preparation turned out such a great result.Â After my first plate, I couldnâ€™t help myself.Â I went back for seconds, which I slathered in ketchup.Â It might be blasphemy for game meat to touch ketchup, but something about meatloaf and ketchup just go hand-in-hand, for me.Â Enjoy with a big, bold red wine, and you are going to be smiling.